Saturday 5 April 2014

Layers

Good morning - well it is for me.
We have just turned the clocks back from daylight saving and will have to quickly get used to very short evenings and the beginning of winter here. As long as no-one tells the weather that daylight saving has ended - we have had a lovely Autumn (unlike our nondescript Summer).


I was home alone last night so I had quiet and space to craft in, a creamy chicken liver pasta sauce for dinner (and Tigger was happy because I gave him some chicken livers too), and I watched 'Big'. No one else in the family is interested in watching it, so I've been saving it for when I'm on my own. Tom Hanks is great - even now - decades after this movie was made.

I have been busy recently with non-craft things and had made a few unsuccessful attempts at last week's Less is more challenge 'Round and round' so I was feeling a bit creatively stunted. I saw that the 'Just Add Ink' challenge was 'Just add ... layers', so off I went and put a card together from pieces I had been experimenting with.


I really just let it grow how it wanted. The components just fitted together.
I had been practicing using my distress ink to make backgrounds (I love the crushed olive colour). and then I used a die as a stencil to add the dots. The branch is a memory box die, as are the leaves, and the blossom are mage from a punch. I cut everything out of cream cardstock and coloured it so I would keep more texture. I have added some fine glitter to the stem and centre of the flowers, and a little on the leaves (there is now glitter all over the table). It doesn't show up well on the photo but catches the light nicely in reality.

I was going to tidy the card to remove the edges of my experimental inking - but then decided I rather liked the fading out effect. so I trimmed the sides, left the top & bottom, inked the edges, and looked for paper to layer with it.

I didn't expect more dots, but they echo the smaller ones and the colours looked fine. And red! That was a surprise, but after I tried the red behind my composition everything else just looked a bit limp ... so Red it was.

I'm feeling much better about my creativity now and have started thinking about the Less is More - touch of turquoise challenge.

Hopefully I wont be so long between posts now either - well - I'm off to pack in a little more crafting before I have to round up the family and bring them back to the fold.
Enjoy your day and thanks for reading
Cheers, Dianne



7 comments:

  1. This is a very effective background effect. I like how the dots on the different panels match too. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Dianne. I love the glittery stems, and the addition of the tiny flowers at the bottom of the card. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh I love Big too. It never gets old.

    Gorgeous card Dianne. Love how your background turned out. Terrific layering too. Thanks so much for joining the challenge fun at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet card with all the little flowers!

    Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink this week.

    Trish
    JAI Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you could put this sweet card together from scraps Dianne. Its sounds as though it was a fun creative journey! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and very creative and all from scraps too! Great card Dianne and Thanks for joining in at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative way to use your left over and experimental pieces. Thanks for playing along at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete